Spring has definitely sprung and what better way than to celebrate with a vibrant, low inflammatory, plant based meal. When the seasons change, it’s only natural that our diets and lifestyles also change. Entering spring means more sunshine, fresh produce, flourishing flowers, more socialising and extended periods of time spent outdoors. As we leave behind the cocooning and nesting months of winter, we may find ourselves gravitating more towards light and fresh salads, herbs, fruits and grains as opposed to slow cooked stews, soups and casseroles. This natural transition is intuitive eating at it’s finest.
This salad is anti-inflammatory, low GI, rich in omega-3’s, high in plant based protein and filled with antioxidant and photo-chemical compounds.
Roasted Beetroot and Quinoa salad
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 45 minutes
Rocket (150 - 200 grams)
Parsley (half a bunch)
Mint (half a bunch)
Beetroot (one large or two medium)
1/2 cup of quinoa (uncooked)
2 tbsp of roasted walnuts
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 tbsp tahini
1 tbsp of tamari (gluten free soy sauce)
1 lemon (juice not flesh)
Salt and pepper (to taste)
- Begin by setting the oven to 180 degrees celsius and prepping a baking tray ready for the beetroot. Lightly prick the beetroots with a fork then wrap with foil. Place in the oven to cook for approximately 40 minutes.
- As the beetroot is cooking, place the quinoa into a pot on the stove with 1 cup of water. Bring to the boil, then reduce down to a slow simmer and place the lid on slightly agar. Cook until the quinoa is fluffy and the water fully absorbed. You may need to add an extra 1/2 cup of water if your quinoa is sticking to the bottom of the pot.
- Distribute the rocket evenly into each bowl and roughly chop the parsley and mint, also distributing evenly into each bowl.
- Prepare your dressing by adding the olive oil, lemon, tamari and tahini into a bowl and mix until smooth.
- Once the quinoa is cooked, spoon evenly into each bowl.
- When the beetroot is cooked through (check with a knife), remove from the oven and slice into wedges. Assemble the beetroot into the bowls.
- Slice the avocado and add half to each bowl.
- Top each salad with the dressing, salt, pepper and roughly chopped roasted walnuts.
- Eat and Enjoy!