Many people skip breakfast but this meal is a wonderful opportunity to kick start your day on a positive note. By flooding your body with nutrients, you’ll likely experience increased energy, vitality and an improvement in mood that’ll carry through for the rest of your day.
Now, not all breakfasts are created equally. The following three recipes contain an abundance of anti-inflammatory plant compounds that will support your body in fighting against inflammatory activity and ultimately, contribute to an improved overall health status.
Let’s dive in.
Chia seed pudding with berries
- 2 tablespoons of chia seeds
- 1/2 cup of plant based milk of choice
- 2 tablespoons of coconut or greek yoghurt
- 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla bean paste (optional)
- 1/2 - 1 cup of fresh berries of choice
- Handful of walnuts
- Add the chia seeds, cinnamon, plant milk and yoghurt to a small bowl. Stir well and place in the fridge to set over night.
- The following morning, remove from the fridge, top with berries, walnuts and an additional sprinkle of cinnamon.
- Enjoy this breakfast as an easy go to on busy mornings!
Green hemp smoothie
- 1 frozen banana
- 1 cup of spinach
- Half a cucumber
- Thumb sized knob of ginger
- 2 tablespoons of hemp seeds
- 1 cup of plant based milk of choice
- 1 date (optional, for extra sweetness)
- Add all ingredients to a blender and blend until smooth.
- Pour into a glass and enjoy! Also lovely with the addition of ice blocks on a warm day.
- A light, refreshing and nutrient filled breakfast that will keep you full and satisfied!
Turmeric ginger oatmeal
- 1/2 cup of traditional rolled oats
- 1/2 cup to 1 cup of plant based milk or water
- 1 teaspoon of chia seeds
- Small handful of raisins
- 1 teaspoon of cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon of turmeric
- 1 teaspoon of ground ginger or freshly grated ginger
- 1 teaspoon of high grade honey (i.e. Manuka or local, raw honey)
- Add all of the ingredients (aside from the honey) to a small pot on the stove. Bring to a simmer, stirring occasionally until the oats absorb the water. Feel free to add more or less liquid if you’d prefer a thinner or thicker consistency.
- Once you’ve reached the desired consistency, remove the pot from the stove, place the oats into a bowl and top with the honey and additional cinnamon.
- Enjoy this beautifully warming, anti-inflammatory breakfast. Great for the autumn and winter.